As an iPhone user, you can expect a certain level of trust and security from your devices, but as much you would like to think you’re protected, you’re still no exception to the rules when it comes to your personal information being exposed online. In a time when net neutrality ceases to exist it is more important than ever to protect your internet traffic. If you ever feel like someone’s always watching you, you’re not too far off; it may not be “the creepy neighbor in the bushes,” but someone out there knows your online shopping habits.
Personal privacy, internet security, and even access to restricted sites abroad, are a few of the makings in a solid argument in favor of getting yourself a VPN. VPNs are a great way to hang blackout curtains over your browser history. They make it look like you’re not home to hackers by showing your internet activity come from the address of your VPN provider. Essentially putting up a barrier between you and anyone trying to watch what you’re doing.
You can install and use VPNs on your home desktop, laptop and even use apps on your mobile devices. While using a free VPN is the easiest solution, there remains a chance that your personal information still makes its way into the hands of third parties. So if you’re looking to protect your iPhone or iPad, we have looked into the 7 best VPNs for iOS users to help you find the one that will serve you best. Most of them offer free trials so you can decide to change your mind before committing to spending money.
A quick summary of the 7 most popular VPN services for IOS
Before you keep reading our list of the best VPNs for iOS let’s take a glimpse at what’s to come. We are going to look at: the best VPN for beginners, the best for your money and a few others. Whatever your objective is when opting for one of the best VPNs for iOS, there is bound to be one to please you.
Our top picks of VPNs for iOS:
- ExpressVPN- Proving itself to be the fastest VPN for iOS. It is a well-rounded VPN for iPhone that has built a trust with its users that have them constantly coming back for more.
- NordVPN- With one of the easiest to use apps and an affordable price tag, NordVPN is one of the best for value with an around the clock support team.
- IPVanish- with a wide range of connecting countries, IPVanish is the one to turn to for your fix of all the best US Netflix shows. Another provider with an outstanding customer service team that is available to answer your questions 24/7 through the website.
- PrivateVPN- Speedy security comes with PrivateVPN. This budget friendly VPN for iOS also offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Surfshark- Unlimited secure connections paired with a low price tag make Surfshark an up and comer to keep an eye on.
- Private Internet Access (PIA)- This easy to use VPN for iOS is perfect for P2P, the only downside is they don’t offer a free trial.
- TunnelBear- Military grade protection in a free package or paid plan.
- Easy-to-use iOS interface- ExpressVPN is one of the fastest running VPNs even on foreign servers and won’t slow your devices down while running in the background.
ExpressVPN for iOS has an easy-to-use interface that provides express access and automatic reconnection in case you lose service. It does lack a kill switch though, that could leave your information vulnerable in case of disconnection. Having an easy-to-use interface gives new VPN users a smooth introductory experience. With three simple steps to running your VPN for iPhone or iPad you just open the app, log in and connect.
- Supports all iOS versions 8.0 & later- You can download ExpressVPN for iPad, iPhone or any other Mac devices supporting all iOS versions from 8.0 and on. You can download ExpressVPN for your iPhone and iPad even if one is running an older version of iOS; once you have downloaded the VPN on one device you can connect it to up to 5 devices simultaneously.
- Unlimited bandwidth- With a large server network you get high speed access to streaming and torrenting in more than 90 countries. Those who travel often will benefit from using this VPN for iPhone to watch your Friday night shows from mobile streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu that are usually difficult to access in remote areas. Your entire creature comfort collection is available to you from your bungalow bed.
- Apple Pay accepted-30 day money back guarantee is placed on all of its packages and if you buy a year’s subscription, you get three months free. You can set up payments through Apple Pay so your protection is always paid for.
- Offers iPad app- ExpressVPN for iPad is just as easy to use on the iPad as it is on the iPhone. As we have mentioned before in our ExpressVPN review, you are three simple steps from protecting all of your online activity. Download, log in, and connect.
- Supports torrenting and P2P- P2P is an easy and non-complicated way to share files and information with other devices on a network. You can search files on the devices that are part of the network. When your devices are protected with ExpressVPN, you can share a little more secretly. Torrenting is also supported if that’s your thing.
- Unlock access to Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer – If some legal grey area downloading isn’t quite what you’re into, using ExpressVPN for iOS on your iPhone gives you access to a number of streaming sites typically unavailable outside of their home networks.
- No kill switch for iOS- As much as we would love to only tell you about the positives in our ExpressVPN review, we have to shed some light on the negatives. There is no kill switch on the iOS supported version. This means that in case of disconnects, your information could be left vulnerable.
- Offers an iPad app- Not only does NordVPN offer an app for iPhone, but there is also NordVPN for iPad. With an app that is just as easy to use as ExpressVPN, NordVPN for iPad is so simple to navigate that any beginner will have no qualms when using it. Just like using any other app from the app store, NordVPN for iOS can be downloaded, opened, and then connected as quickly as you can press install. There is also a shortcut widget that gives you a quick rundown of everything you need to start sharing over a secure network; the widget displays your nearest server and a few more important details. When you do install the VPN you can trial it for 30 days or your money back. Even more recently you can connect to Siri on any of your iOS devices.
- Has a kill switch for iOS- Aside from being feature full, NordVPN for iOS comes with a kill switch. This is great news for anyone who fears the unknown. NordVPN has your back, in the case of any disconnect your personal information that is currently being sent or stored over the networks will be protected. This extra protection is in addition to the already secure network goes hand in hand with NordVPNs no log policy. You can protect your identity and internet traffic on up to 6 devices at the same time. So if you’re after an iPad or iPhone VPN then let NordVPN will cover them both.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV- With access to servers in over 60 countries you can access just about any streaming site that you can imagine. Catch up on the latest shows from Hulu or join in on the chaos that basically anything from HBO ensues.
- Supports P2P and torrenting- When you connect to any of the NordVPN servers you also gain access to specialty servers that support P2P and torrenting. This covers your downloading activity as well as network sharing.
- NordVPN only accepts PayPal from certain countries- Unless you’re living in South America, regions of Asia or Europe you’ll be hard pressed to pay with PayPal. With multiple payment options though, this shouldn’t be your reason for not downloading NordVPN for iOS.
- Offers iPad app- IPVanish for iPad offers a fully customizable VPN experience. This is not the VPN for the inexperienced though. A person who is unfamiliar with the best VPNs for iOS and how to use them can easily become overwhelmed with IPVanish. If you are familiar with what the perfect VPN experience looks like then you will be happier than a dog rolling in the sand after bath time. As one of the top performing VPNs for iOS, IPVanish is speedy and secure. They offer a strict no-log policy which guarantees protection over your information.
- Netflix, BBC iPlayer- Not only does IPVanish give you access to streaming sites like Netflix and BBC iPlayer on your iPhone or iPad, you can stream with no lag time with their lightning fast download and upload speeds. IPVanish for iOS connects to servers in over 75 locations for high speed access in a wider range of places. It has automatic features that guarantee you never connect over an unsecure network.
- Supports torrenting- You can securely download torrents without someone watching you. The best VPN for iOS has one constant factor and that is safety when torrenting. While this best VPN is US based, with their no-log policy, as we previously mentioned in this review of IPVanish, there will be no remaining record of your internet activity if for any reason authorities serve a warrant asking for such information.
- No kill switch for iOS- With military grade protection a lack of a kill switch only leaves you vulnerable for a moment. If you are to experience disconnects on your iPhone or iPad while using IPVanish, any information being shared will become exposed, leaving you out in the cold. Luckily though there is no extra backlog of your activity.
- Lack of 24/7 customer support- As we have previously mentioned in our review of IPVanish, this VPN for iOS is not for the newcomer. This will become apparent if you ever need customer support in the off hours. Different time zones make it difficult to keep on schedule with customer service calls, and emergencies can’t be timed or planned.
- Offers iPad app- If you’re looking for an affordable VPN for your iPad or iPhone, PrivateVPN is the best iOS VPN for you. The one-touch app is available on all of your iOS devices and to say it’s user-friendly is an understatement. This fast and secure VPN is the one you’ve been looking for to dip your toes into the VPN pool. Once you have mastered using this best VPN for iOS then it’s time to customize your settings to your liking. PrivateVPN gives you straightforward options for customization to make you feel like a tried and true pro.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer- With over 150 servers available in 60 locations this VPN is best for iOS user who love to stream. PrivateVPN for iOS can unlock multiple streaming sites and won’t leave you waiting impatiently for downloads. It even has servers specifically for Netflix. Using Stealth mode on PrivateVPN you can sneak past the deepest blockades especially those like Netflix geo-blocks.
- Supports torrenting and P2P- All servers support P2P with PrivateVPN and a list of optimized servers is available on the app. PrivateVPN gives you an encrypted and private download experience. The security boasts powerful enough to protect you even on unsecured networks.
- Affordable- Not only is it an easy to use iOS app, but PrivateVPN for iOS is one of the more affordable services available. By offering a seamless user experience PrivateVPN can keep their prices low and with their customer commitment, they just keep their customers coming back.
- No kill switch for iOS- A lack of a kill switch is a common trait to lack when it comes to some of the best VPNs for iOS. Just as many other VPN services, a strict no-log policy is your saving grace here. PrivateVPN may have a smaller server base but they are a growing company with potential. Over time they can improve their customer support and if they keep with their privacy friendly features they will remain one of the best VPNs for iOS.
- Offers iPad app- We know what it feels like to be exposed online. iOS users want to ensure security across all devices. With Surfshark for iPhone and even iPad you can securely browse on all of your Mac devices. This newcomer in the VPN world is fighting for the title of not only best VPN for iOS but also the most affordable VPN for iOS users. With a single subscription to Surfshark you can protect unlimited devices at the same time. This makes Surfshark the best VPN for big families.
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime video and others- with 1000+ servers in over 60 countries you can now access even more streaming sites in more locations. Compared to other VPNs for iOS that claim to be the best, we see a new list of streaming sites from Surfshark, which are accessible from your iPad or iPhone. Sports fans can keep track of the score of the season from abroad without missing a game with access to ESPN. It can pass through the strictest of geo blocks to give you access to your favorite streaming sites securely, no matter your location.
- Supports torrenting- With one of the largest number of servers avaialable that we have seen it makes us wonder, does Surfshark for iOS support torrenting? The answer is yes, it does. Not only does it support torrenting but it claims to have the quickest speeds.
- Has kill switch for iOS- Unlike many other VPNs supported by iOS Surfshark comes with a kill switch in addition to no logging. That makes it a great option for those who just aren’t willing to risk even a second of their cyber security.
- Lacks customer support- As an up and coming company Surfshark is making strides in the industry as an affordable yet feature-full VPN for iOS. We should give them time to round off the remaining sectors of their business like the current lack of customer support. We’re not saying there isn’t a support team in existence; we just mean to say they need to get their act together.
6. Private Internet Access (PIA)
- Offers iPad app- Private Internet Access or as we will refer to it, PIA is one of the best VPN for iOS on the market today. PIA for iOS offers complete anonymity to their users and not only on iPhone or desktop Mac, they have a PIA for iPad app as well. You can use up to 5 devices on one accounts subscription. This guarantees protection across multiple devices. This is especially a deal considering how affordable PIA is already; you can stretch your subscription even farther. Beware though whether you use PIA for iPad or iPhone it needs iOS 9.0 or later to operate.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer- PIA is quickly becoming one of the most popular VPNs available today. You can access streaming sites with faster download speeds while remaining protected and anonymous. While you have access to the big streaming names like Netflix and HBO, Netflix still came up short in a few locations. This may seem like a loss but Netflix is a tough competitor in geo blocking and gaining access to any of their servers is considered a win.
- Supports torrenting- Connection speeds are never compromised and your activity is never exposed when torrenting. PIA is the best VPN for torrenting on the market today. All of their servers not only support torrenting but also P2P. In case you aren’t sure where to find these P2P optimized servers, there is a list available through the app.
- No free trial- We love everything that PIA for iOS has to offer. The price tag is a bit higher and they don’t offer a free trial though. So if you are a new VPN user or just aren’t ready to commit this could be an issue.
- Offers iPad app- Another well-known VPN for iOS is TunnelBear. This is a great app for beginner VPN users, the app is easy to navigate and the settings aren’t too advanced or confusing. Using browser extensions has never been more straightforward.
- Supports torrenting- TunnelBear for iOS finally gives its users what they have been asking for, torrenting capabilities. For the longest time TunnelBear didn’t support torrenting and P2P but they seem to have finally changed their mind.
- No kill switch for iOS- As with most of the VPNs for iOS we have gone over TunnelBear also lacks a kill switch. Now we know it sounds like they don’t have much to offer but they are the perfect VPN for beginners and offer military grade protection.
- Doesn’t guarantee compatibility with streaming services– Now we didn’t say they were perfect but they still deserve a chance. If you are a first time VPN user and aren’t too worried about streaming compatibility with big name sites, then this shouldn’t be much of an issue. TunnelBear for iOS lacks access to big streaming services, which can be a turn off to binge watchers.
The low down on the 7 best VPNs for iOS
VPNs are becoming more essential to maintain privacy and picking the one that’s right for you puts you closer to securing your online activity. You have practically unlimited options when it comes to iOS friendly VPNs that are easy to use, affordable and secure. Consider what your privacy is worth when deciding on the best iOS VPN for you. If speed is your top priority, ExpressVPN has what you need. If it’s access to top streaming sites all over the world, IPVanish can satisfy your cravings. You can surely find what you need from this list of easy-to-use iOS VPNS. VPNs are safe to use on iPhones and iPads, and are typically just as affordable as an iCloud storage plan.
Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful